Empathy Action is completely volunteer managed and run. From the start, Co-founders & Directors Matthew Gurney and Ben Solanky made a conscious decision to build the charity this way, ensuring transparency and focussing all our resources into achieving the charity’s central aim: to help people actively engage in tackling global deprivation in their own way. Find out more about what makes us tick here.
Empathy Action needs you: join our team!
We have a wide variety of volunteers from many different backgrounds and walks of life. Anyone can volunteer. Volunteering may be especially attractive to those:
- wanting to “give back”
- working towards a Duke of Edinburgh or Arts Award, or applying for Higher Education
- with spare time during term time
- working from home and in need of some weekly social interaction
- in between employment
- needing a change of direction
- who are retired
We would love help with the below:
- Administration (hours to suit):
All of the work behind the scenes & PA to the Directors; liaising with schools, coordinating volunteers, organising simulation logistics and helping to make things run as smoothly as possible.
- Bookkeeping (regular hours to suit):
Our wonderful bookkeeper Bente is soon to step down for adventures new. She has written a description of the tasks that have kept us ticking over. Experience of Quickbooks is not necessary and she will supervise a handover. Register in Quickbooks:
- Invoice and purchase orders
- Invoices for simulations and handicrafts
- Expenses (debits, standing orders, volunteer claims and stock purchases)
- All receipts and expenses on a weekly basis
- Donations and fundraising
- Bank account reconciliation
- Reports for trustee meetings
- New accounts as required
- A record of cash received and banked as well as foreign currency
- Keep track of which handicraft has been sold as Action Packs, wedding favours etc
- Do a bi-annual stocktake
- Claim GiftAid
- Digital Marketing (regular hours to suit)
- Event Organising (one-off or routine events)
- Fundraising (flexible hours):
We currently run football tournaments, coordinate sponsored runs and have just launched Empathy coffee mornings. Help with these, running your own project or applying for grant funding would be a great help indeed.
- Storytelling & copywriting (flexible hours):
Social media is all about documenting what’s going on now – telling a story. If you’re interested in writing copy for blog articles, social media posts, follow-ups on simulations and more, this is for you.
- Assistant director for Desperate Journeys (occasional rehearsals and simulations): The wonderful Mr Hix currently heads up and directs our Desperate Journeys simulation. You would shadow and assist him, co-running simulation rehearsals and the event itself, until you have built the skills and confidence to lead your own should the need arise.