Empathy Action is completely volunteer managed and run. From the start, Co-founders & Directors Matthew Gurney and Ben Solanky made a conscious decision to build the charity this way, ensuring transparency and focussing all our resources into achieving the charity’s central aim: to help people actively engage in tackling global deprivation in their own way. Find out more about what makes us tick here.
Empathy Action needs you: join our team!
We have a wide variety of volunteers from many different backgrounds and walks of life. Anyone can volunteer. Volunteering may be especially attractive to those:
- wanting to “give back”
- working towards a Duke of Edinburgh or Arts Award, or applying for Higher Education
- with spare time during term time
- working from home and in need of some weekly social interaction
- in between employment
- needing a change of direction
- who are retired
We would love help with the below:
- URGENT: Bookkeeper (half a morning a week): We are urgently seeking a local Bookkeeper, would suit someone on maternity leave or retired who would like to keep their CV active. Full in house handover provided. Please email for more information and application details and share if you know someone who might be interested. Thank you.
- Administration (hours to suit):
All of the work behind the scenes & PA to the Directors; liaising with schools, coordinating volunteers, organising simulation logistics and helping to make things run as smoothly as possible.
- Assistant Director for Desperate Journeys (occasional rehearsals and simulations): The wonderful Mr Hix currently heads up and directs our Desperate Journeys simulation. You would shadow and assist him, co-running simulation rehearsals and the event itself, until you have built the skills and confidence to lead your own should the need arise.
- Digital Marketing (regular hours to suit)
Education & Schools Workers (regular hours to suit or for one-off programmes)
Our schools work is growing. The aspiration is to increase empathy in schools. We would like to increase the number of Empathy Action school programmes this year, particularly for Key Stage 2 at primary schools. This role is two-fold but can be split between volunteers: liaising with schools in the lead up to and organising the logisitcs of the programme; and running the event itself.
Event Organising (one-off or routine events)
- Fundraising (flexible hours):
We currently run football tournaments, coordinate sponsored runs and have just launched Empathy coffee mornings. Help with these, running your own project or applying for grant funding would be a great help indeed.
Handicraft Assistants (hours to suit)The Gifts That Give Twice handicrafts are expanding and require more help to ensure the smooth running of operations. Tasks include (but are not limited to) the bagging, tagging, packing and posting of online handicraft sales, assisting at craft fairs and developing existing and new handicraft parterships.
- Storytelling & Copywriting (hours to suit):
Social media is all about documenting what’s going on now – telling a story. If you’re interested in writing copy for blog articles, social media posts, follow-ups on simulations and more, this is for you.
Website administrator:The EA website could be a greater source of empathy-building with users and clients. We would love to keep it fresh and exciting. We are looking for enthusiastic and innovative web administrators and project managers to help us build this.